Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The College Kid's Startin' to Sweat




There's a new mastermind at work behind the scenes. We all remember when Google was simply a search engine (or at least I do). Today, it's much more than that, and it's only getting bigger.

Personally, I only thought I was using Google for e-mail and the occasional web search. Apparently, it's also connected to my blog and YouTube accounts. Now, you can even make money through Google with your blog,

What once was just a search engine is now becoming the ultimate home on the web to connect you to anything you can think of that you may want to do online.

Don't believe me? Check it out. Google +

old facebook 2

You remember that dorky little college boy that started up Facebook years ago? Some of us remember the days Facebook was only open to people who had a college e-mail address. If you didn't have a college e-mail address, you couldn't have a Facebook account. Then he got the genius idea to open it up to everyone, including 8 year olds whose parents obviously didn't care what they did on the computer. He added all these apps that one day became annoying to many yet unusually habit forming and somehow entertaining to most, including myself. Back in the day, you could just talk with people on their walls, like them, poke them, and if you knew how to do a little copy and paste work, you MIGHT could add some things to your wall such as music players and pictures. Oh, and we had these neat little drawing boards and basic apps where you could buy someone a drink or something.

myspace

It wasn't MySpace, but it would suffice until Tom came in and completely screwed MySpace for those of us who enjoyed it for the simple things such as blogging and making our pages pretty. Now we have to earn badges, like and follow bands, and have absolutely no design control whatsoever. Or at least none that I found when it first went to My ____. Yes, My BLANK is the new name, basically. Makes me think whoever is over it now (hasn't Tom left or whatever?) had, and still has, no clue what to call the big jumbled-up mess that used to give us some freedom to express ourselves the way we wanted to and NOT the way someone else wanted us to.

Hi5 Page 

Who remembers Hi5? I think they got lost somewhere in the mess of MySpace. Honestly, my guess is whoever is over that ran out of funds it would take to try to keep up with the masterminds behind MySpace and Facebook.

tagged profile

Does anyone remember Tagged? It started as a place for those under the age of 18 to go hang out in the virtual world. It was similar to MySpace and what not. Possibly, in trying to keep up with the majority, they changed it to where you didn't have to be under 18 to get an account. I don't think they ever became part of the popular crowd.

Oh there were some others... They never really grew big enough for the majority of the world to care.

Google plus twitter

And now, we'll have G+ to throw into the mix. According to some people, it's going to trump anything Facebook ever did. There's an article floating around Facebook about how that little college guy now forbids you to delete your Facebook and all it's content. Supposedly, it even archives all your messages you try to manually delete on your own. Click here to read it. Because of all the hype, I'm actually excited to switch over to Google Plus when it's released. Although, I have to say, this picture I've found, thanks to Photobucket, doesn't make it seem as interesting as the Virtual Tour made it out to be. I guess that's part of the marketing scheme, though. And an A+ marketing scheme, they definitely have.

When are you going to make the switch?

1 comment:

Stephanie Faris said...

It's kinda interesting to see what brilliant ideas all these yuppies are coming up with to try to be the next Facebook. But who knew Facebook would overtake MySpace and that TWITTER would become such a big hit. Twitter annoys me but I get why it's successful. I just login and can't seem to find anything anyone is saying that I can comment on. I TRY!